The Labour Party is one of the UK’s main political parties and is currently the official opposition in Parliament. In recent years its membership has greatly expanded to make it the largest in Britain in terms of numbers of members, and directly employs over 200 people.
The LCoAT Brief
The Labour Party contacted the London College of Apprenticeship Training at the end of 2016 in response to their HR team wanting to develop an apprenticeship scheme. The timing could not have been better as the Apprenticeship Levy coincided perfectly with their plan.
The Labour Party were keen to implement a learning programme that suited their skills needs and develop their existing employees as well as offering apprenticeships to new staff joining the business. The Labour Party were looking for a partner that could manage their programme as a whole and so engaged with us as their Lead Provider. As Lead provider we manage all aspects of their apprenticeships from delivery to recruitment and support
We always start by asking a client a simple question:
“What is it that you want your staff to be able to do at the end of the apprenticeship that they can’t do now?”
Once we’d clearly understood Labour’s key objectives we were able to structure a development programme that would enable them to meet their objectives through an apprenticeship scheme.
Here’s what we did next:
- provided a free ‘levy opportunities’ consultancy service
- researched the client’s existing Learning & Development (L&D) programmes
- outcome matched L&D objectives to existing apprenticeship standards
- profiled start numbers required to fully recovery levied funds
- identified opportunities to increase staff participation numbers using co-funding
- developed bespoke curriculum content for each course
- resourced a programme of masterclasses, theatre-based learning workshops, and technical works
- ran a series of webinars to introduce the course to participants and line managers
The resulting apprenticeships started in August 2017.
The Apprenticeship Programme
The London College of Apprenticeship Training tailor-made a Level 3 Team Leadership and Supervision apprenticeship specifically for the Labour Party. As with all of our apprenticeships, the course content is specifically written to meet Labour’s objectives but it is strongly based on the apprenticeships standards set out by the Chartered Management Institute. See the details here: