Skills Coach and Trainer
Mike works with the London College of Apprenticeship Training as a Skills Coach and Workshop Tutor. He has a particular interest in, and some would say he is an expert in, Security and Safety courses.
His responsibilities include:
- Skills Coaching and Mentoring individual apprentices including:
- inducting new apprentices and developing their individual learning plan (ILP)
- convening course workshops, masterclasses and theatre-based learning
- monitoring individual learning progress and performance coaching
- convening fortnightly webinars
- conducting quarterly learning reviews with apprentices
- facilitating peer group support seminars
- providing 1-2-1 additional learner support where necessary
- assessing, marking and grading assignment and project work
- preparing apprentices for tests and end point assessment (EPA)
- work-based assessment
- Workshop Teaching including:
- delivery of Spectator Safety and Leadership and Supervision course
- preparation of learning and project resources
You can find out more about the courses that Mike delivers here.
Mike retired from the Metropolitan Police after completing 30 years’ service in 2011. He ran a firearms team and was a firearms tactical advisor and wrote the operational plans for providing armed protection at all the judicial courts in England and Wales. He was also the match day controller for Charlton Athletic FC. He became the lead security planner for the opening and closing ceremonies of the London 2012 Olympic Games.
More recently, Mike has worked as the deputy safety officer at the London Stadium and is part of the Football Association quality assurance team based at Wembley Stadium. Outside work he is a treasurer of Eclipse Netball club.
Mike has been assessing apprentices for LCoAT since Nov 2015 and recently taken on some young apprentices at Royal Borough of Greenwich studying Business Admin. Mike has a great rapport with this age group and has proved to be very popular in Greenwich.